Huuuhh!! The oil, the frying, the frying again. The sweet taste of mushroom with the roasted onions and the spices makes it a wonderful food. Oh good, I am not sure if I should clean my drooling or just make another batch ;)
Preparation time - 10 mins
cooking time 20 mins
serves - 3 to 4
IngredientsFor the gravy base(spice paste):
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
- Coriander seeds - 2 tsp
- cloves - 2
- Ani star - 1
- Cinnamon stick - 1/4 inch
- Ginger - 1/4 inch
- Garlic - 4 or 5 (I used Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbsp)
For Batter (Deep frying):
- All purpose flour (Maida) - 2 tbsp
- Corn Flour - 4 tbsp
- Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
- Coriander powder - 2 tsp
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbsp
- salt - to taste
- Diced Mushroom - 2 cups (I used button mushroom)
- Diced onion - 1 big or 2 medium
- Minced green chilli - 1
- Cilantro / coriander leaves for garnishing
- Lime juice for garnishing
- salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Wash and dice mushroom and onion. Mince green chilli and keep all of it aside.
- Then blend all the spices mentioned above for preparing the base gravy into a smooth paste and add a little water and keep it aside
- Heat oil and meanwhile mix the batter to pourable consistency and set aside
- Once the oil is hot on medium high, add the mushrooms in batch to the batter and fry it in the oil
- Keep going until you are done with all the mushroom and batter. Any extra batter can be fried too.
- Once all the mushrooms are nicely fried with the batter, in another sauce pan heat oil and saute onion and green chilli.
- When the onion turns translucent add in the blended spice paste and cook for a minute until the water is slightly absorbed and make a gravy with onion
- Switch off the flame and add the fried mushrooms and sautee for a minute.
- Finally serve and garnish with onion, coriander leaves and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Corn flour is a must, any other replacement din't work so well for me.
- Keep your eye on salt and chilli. You will be adding both at all levels equally.
- Do not add a lot of water to the paste, it will make the mushrooms soggy. Also try to saute mushroom into the base or fry fresh until you are ready to platter.
Enjoy and happy cooking :)
I definitely enjoyed making this and enjoyed even more while taking pictures. My daughter was helping me prop the table by including her ideas. I mean by bringing her toys :)